Monday, November 18, 2013

I wanna lay down in the falling snow...


Well...

Today I did the thing I never, ever thought I would do.

I volunteered to give up my desk by the window.

My beautiful sanctuary in the corner where no one bothers me - which I snagged by kind-of-underhanded-means years ago - has become my enemy.

See, my area already stands out in the office, because all the lights above my desk are out. I like it dark.

And the shades always remain shut.

And behind the shades, I have flattened cardboard boxes up against the window, to block any sunlight that might get in between the cracks.

And if any sunlight STILL tries to get in, I have taped up pieces of paper that I move periodically throughout the day as the sun moves...and sigh in relief every day after noon when it goes to the other side of the building.

But even after all that, today the sun still got through. It kept reflecting off the silver windowsill right into my eyes...

until finally, after the fourth or fifth time of knifelike pain, bam! A migraine was born.

I don't always make the most rational decisions when I'm in pain, trying to remain at work, and I've taken two Vicodin and a Flexeril. But I'm so sick of pain.

So I'm switching with Mark. He's deliriously happy to be moving desks for reasons I can't talk about in public. At least someone's happy.

Well, probably lots of people will be happy...they'll get to have sunlight again, and stuff.

Wow.

Having me in your office is kinda like having Death hanging around, if you think about it. Or, not Death...EEYORE.

I'm EEYORE.

26 comments:

  1. I suffer migraine and have for over a half century. I also know Eeyore had his tail nailed to his butt. Don't ask how, but I know butt nails don't cause migraine. You are not Eeyore. Hope your new desk spot furnishes relief. Have you, by any chance, checked barometric changes at the onset of migraine or aura? Mine come when the air pressure drops in this valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked the barometric thing...
      Since Louisville is notorious for being awful for allergy sufferers and weather fluctuations due to its spot in the Ohio Valley, that might be it.

      Delete
  2. I always liked Eeyore.
    "Thanks for noticing me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a window office when I worked at Strayer University in Lex and I kept the blinds on my window always closed due to the sunlight always reflecting off of everything. People thought I was anti-sun lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! And I'm not, I would love the sun if it wasn't hurting my eyes and my head and my skin, lol...

      Delete
  4. haha you are the vampire of the office, sucking the sun away. Mark is happy huh? Hmm could he be going near someone who he fancy's their rear? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is Mark's area like? I liked this post. Stream of consciousness feel, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, he sits right next to me, but his area is enclosed on all sides so I should be pretty protected from the glare.
      What's really going to be fun is moving our stuff, because we've sat next to each other for years and years, and our desks our full of JUNK... I have time to throw stuff away, though, because he's on vacation thru next Friday. He's one of those people.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry you get migraines. I can totally relate. I've had them for over 25 years and they totally suck. I hope you're feeling better now. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I am actually! I was so afraid it was going to be another bad one, but this morning it was gone, what a relief!

      I haven't had mine for quite as long as you...over 15 years for me, I guess. I'm looking forward to the day when they're gone for good.

      Delete
  7. You're just a sunbeam who hasn't shone yet. I'm sorry you have a migraine. Take care of yourself and remember you can take EEYORE out of the corner, but you can't take the corner out of EEYORE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I'm totally disagreeing. You know how much I look forward to reading your blog, don't you? I get a big grin on my face and usually chuckle--and chuckles are almost as good as cheese. So see, you're not Eeyore. You're cheese. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm cheese!! OMG what a compliment, coming from you, that's like gold! LOL Thank you so much!!!!!

      Delete
  9. Eeyore was always my favorite. Sunshiny-people can be very annoying. But I'm glad you gave the window to somebody who will take pleasure in it; that was the right thing to do. And now you can be enclosed in your own space: migraines begone (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am pretty excited, I hope it turns out okay and I don't regret it!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you...just one of the hundred different things I'm trying in my quest to get rid of my migraines for good! :)

      Delete
  11. I love Eeyore, he's my fave!! You're a good person to give up something special for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's mine too!

      I don't know that I'm that good! I hesitated for a second and thought about what I could possibly get out of him for my prime real estate, before reality got hold of me and realized that's not what good people do! LOL

      Delete
  12. Eeyore is my favorite! Hope you enjoy your new seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It looks like Eeyore is the favorite! I wonder how he would react to that information? - in a very Eeyore way, no doubt...

      Delete
  13. Eeyore is the best <3 Well, Eeyore and Tigger...Which is funny because they are polar opposites :p Hope you find a reason to ADORE your new desk :)

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, aren't they! I was just thinking that Tigger is the only one that has his own song...besides Pooh, of course.
      I hope I love my desk...I should switch the first week of December. So long a wait!

      Delete