Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Giving thanks #2; In the land that is plentiful...


Thanksgiving has always been my grandmother's day - her Big Show. She would begrudgingly allow everyone to bring one (pre-approved) dish for Thanksgiving dinner, but that was it! She was determined to make and prepare everything herself, and worked for days to give us a veritable feast. 

This will be our third Thanksgiving without her, and it still hasn't gotten any easier. My family's very close, you know, and the 14 of us celebrate something at least a couple times a month, and there's always an empty space now. Thanksgiving hurts the most.

Despite all this, I'm reminded on Thanksgiving of how grateful I am. I gladly accept the pain of loss, because I wouldn't ever give up loving and having had a close relationship with my grandma. I don't know anyone who has a family like mine. I am blessed.

I am thankful.
I have my family.
I have my daughter.
I have my mom.
I have my Dwayne.
I have my kitty.
I'm alive.
I survived.
I had the best grandmother in the world.
I have a place to live (complete with a living room floor-sleeper, but that's another story).
I have a job.
I'M STILL ALIVE.

Love you all... Happy Thanksgiving. :)

12 comments:

  1. Great things to be thankful for indeed, especially the alive one. You mentioned the floor sleeper again, twice I caught you lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have a real problem, I don't know how to keep my mouth shut! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm extremely thankful for my stretchy pants. And that I don't have a floor sleeper. :-\

    xoxo
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh stretchy pants!
      And I should have added I'm thankful for my iPhone!

      Delete
  3. Just the sort of cheerful post I needed to read this morning! Best wishes for a happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. I am blessed to have a nice warm place to live surrounded by my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think we can all find we are surrounded by blessings... :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Melissa. It is always sad to miss our loved ones at traditional times. Your grandma sounds like she had Thanksgiving wrapped up. I wouldn't mind someone else doing the cooking. So lovely that you are a close family.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      Thank you! I know, I dread the thought that I may be stuck doing the cooking some day! I'll just have to make sure that never happens... LOL

      Delete
  6. =) You never stop loving those who've passed on, or missing them for that matter, but they definitely give you something to aspire for, eh?

    ReplyDelete