Saturday, November 9, 2013

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 28 - A song that makes you feel guilty/FREE DAY


I have lots of guilt. I don't think anyone carries as much as The Doctor carries, but I have my fair share. Don't we all?

BUT this will have to be another free day. I cannot think of a song that makes me feel guilty. I don't need a song for that, my top five sins are permanently etched on my brain, they're never going away.

So let's talk music.

The 30 day song challenge is wrapping up and all of a sudden I'm panicking - I'm running out of time, and we haven't even discussed Marvin Gaye!

He's one of my all-time favorite artists...I can listen to him sing all day. I'm sure I don't even need to list any of his songs on here, because everyone knows them. He was a beautiful singer, a beautiful man, and he died tragically and much too young.

In 1983, Marvin Gaye was invited to sing The Star-Spangled Banner at the NBA All-Star Game. His performance ranks right next to Whitney Houston's, in my opinion, as the best Anthem ever.

16 comments:

  1. Whoa... I'd never heard that rendition before. I usually am turned off by the more "creative" renditions of the anthem, but this one goes down like melted butter. Thanks so much for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I'm the same way, I like my Anthem sung properly, but Marvin Gaye could do just about anything, it was just right for him. :)

      Delete
  2. He had many hits and all were swell indeed, never heard it sung like that before

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly remarkable and thrilling rendition. When a song as familiar as The Star-Spangled Banner sounds totally new, I know I'm hearing an incomparable vocalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree - thrilling is right! Everytime I hear it, I get goosebumps.

      Delete
  4. Love Marvin Gaye. I love his version of "I Heard it through the Grapevine"

    ReplyDelete
  5. A voice like silk.

    Do you know what it is to blot a stain, Mitch? When I first heard it, I thought it meant something different. I thought it meant to put something over it so that you couldn't see it anymore. Apparently, it means to lift the stain out so that it's like it never was.

    This is my wish for your Five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suze, you always say exactly the perfect thing that makes me smile and tear up at the same time. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  6. If they get the words right, I'm happy. I know I've said that before, so I won't say it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, I actually thought of you when I posted this. :)

      Delete
  7. An extraordinary artist who, like Stevie Wonder, completely reinvented himself on his own terms in the early '70s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I too would be hard pressed to think of a song which made me feel guilty!
    There is something unique about Marvin Gaye. My favourite has got to be 'What's going on'.

    ReplyDelete