Sunday, November 10, 2013

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 29 - A song from your childhood


1985.

It was my last year in Germany.

I know now, of course, that my knowledge of music at the time was severely limited. But back then, that's just the way it was.

We had one American TV station - the AAFES channel. I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio. The only music I had, in fact, were the Dolly Parton tapes my grandma sent me from the states.

My brother had records in his room, and when he was gone I would sneak in there and listen to them. Lionel Richie, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, KISS, REO Speedwagon, Prince...I had no idea who any of these people were, but I liked them. 

Well, I liked what little I could listen to, in the very short period of time I was home alone every day.

Then, USA for Africa released the "We Are The World" single and video. 

Surprisingly enough, I was permitted to own a copy of the cassette, AND watch the video.

My parents played the video for me over and over, telling me who the different people were, acting surprised when I had no idea.

Really?

Anyway, I love this song. I can identify all the voices now. And, best of all, the song raised $63 million for humanitarian aid in Africa and the US.


16 comments:

  1. That was an amazing charitable effort, and such a great thing those musicians did.

    Must have been interesting being so unexposed to popular music. My mum and dad were always big into music, and played a lot of it as I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents were into music, too, but NOT popular music, LOL. It was a major culture shock coming back to the States...Major. :)

      Delete
  2. Ha I'd be lucky if I can identify one, but good song indeed, First time I heard that one i think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat,
      Not even Michael Jackson, Ray Charles, Springsteen, Dylan? Of course now I know them by heart, but yeah, I guess I can see not knowing them if you didn't study them like I did LOL...

      Delete
  3. We had BandAid (Do they know it's Christmas) over here. It too is indelibly enmeshed in my memories - although for me it is not so much childhood, but of growing into adulthood (a process which I think still continues...). Never having a television, I was totally amazed seeing these famous voices in their bodies. They sort of looked so normal... ok some of them dressed weirdly, but they looked like real human beings!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Belafonte, who coordinated USA for Africa, was inspired by Band Aid to do something similar in the US. Bob Geldof is apparently in the video but I have to watch it to see where...

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh I haven't heard this sing in FOREVER!! This brought back memories for me. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way when I hear it, just a lot of memories :)

      Delete
  5. I bought a T-shirt that I wore until it shredded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there were T-shirts!
      I think I still have my cassette, somewhere...

      Delete
  6. It's been a long time since I've heard that track. Thanks for the fond memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Germany, huh? You know, I think if we knew who these big label artists were deep down, we'd stop supporting 80% of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, reading the 'making of' story, there were a very few who did behave kind of badly...but most were wonderful.

      Delete
  8. BUT--(finishing my comment...) I love this video, and oh my goodness! Celebrities +!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too...they look so happy, like they know they're part of something special.

      Delete