Thursday, February 10, 2005

Midnight...rambling...

I finally hooked up my new scanner/printer/copier...
The first thing I wanted to do was find something to scan in, because it's been such a long time since I've been able to do that...and then I got caught up looking at pictures for an hour!
Here's the picture that I finally decided would get the honors and be the first one in:
Picture from Hometown
This is my daughter and me at Cumberland Falls, Kentucky, about eight or nine years ago.  Do you see how close we are to the falls!!!  I can't believe I did that...there is a viewing area much further back, but my grandmother had talked me into going under the ropes and hurrying out there on the limestone shelf so she could get a picture of us before one of the park rangers saw us.
Obviously, I can't ever let my daughter see this picture, I don't want her to get any ideas.  I also obviously can't let her hang out with my grandmother too much...LOL!
I go to Cumberland Falls at least once every year...because:
1) It's one of the only few places in the world where you can see a moonbow...it's quite something to go to the park during the full moon, and stand with a crowd of people in the middle of the night, waiting for the moon to rise above the trees so that you can see colors arise out of the mist at the base of the falls...
Picture from Hometown
2) It's a great place to go whitewater rafting...you start your trip at the base of the falls and travel down the Cumberland River...and it's family-friendly (meaning NOT HARD)...
and
3) Because I love it!  The falls and the hiking trails and the river, it's one of my favorite places in the world.
(This is me talking...my daughter also loves it...D, on the other hand, is a person of this variety..."WHY do we have to go there again? What else is there to see that you haven't seen a hundred times before?"...But he loves me, so he always goes along and doesn't complain TOO much! LOL)

9 comments:

  1. I love the picture!!!  Just gorgeous!!!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of a moonbow, but now, I wanna see one!!!
    Fantastic picture by the way, must have been reeeaaally loud that near the falls!
    Sara   x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures.  That looks like a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Cumberland Falls! I had not thought of there in a long while. When I was a child my Grandparents would take us there every couple of summers. We had relatives up there that we would also visit. And, yes, it is very beautiful.
    http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful picture!  I love the Falls too...have not been for a long time, but now that Spring is just around the corner...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool! I love waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle,

    Both of you are so close to the drop.  Interesting!!!  I am glad you can get D to go with you every year.  No, I would not let your daughter see this picture so that she does not go close herself.  The falls are just beautiful.  I never heard of a moonbow.  Thank you for sharing this.

    Hugs,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful pic!! I've never been to cumcerland falls, but now I'm soooo wanting to go this year! lol. :::checks calender for the "spring" full moon::: That must be such an awesome sight to see! Glad you hook up that scanner ;-) I expect to see lots more pics from now on, hehe.
    Love & hugs,
    ~Angel

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so awesome!!

    katy

    ReplyDelete