Thursday, January 9, 2014

I promise you there's hope...


Sometimes it seems like I'm wasting space. Well, a lot of the time it feels like that.

I promise I'm better, comparatively! It's just a habit, I think, along with feeling a little at odds in my environment. Now that I'm feeling a little healthier, I don't even know where to start.

:)

I asked Chelsea for ideas on how to celebrate my 10th anniversary of blogging and she was way too important and busy.

She used to be a proper minion who did all my work for me but now she has a job and thinks she's allowed to like, live her own life and stuff.

What's up with that? Children just think they can grow up and move on and OMG! - NOW I understand why my mom is always so mad if I don't talk to her on the weekends!

*Epiphany*

:)

Sooo...

Here is a look back ten years ago at one of Chelsea's and Mom's favorite posts:

Good Memories, Part 1

Wednesday, March 3, 2004

We spent Memorial Day at my grandparent's farm last summer.  My grandparent's farm - this is the place where I love to go for the peacefulness and the woods and the brilliant night sky.  I guess it's nice during the day, too, if it wasn't for the bugs and the heat and the sun and that since it's a family picnic you're not supposed to stay inside and read your book.

My daughter was doing softball at the time at the Y and I suggested we play baseball so she could get some practice.  My bossy brother heard me and insisted we play kickball instead.  I'm 31 and my brother is 36 and we still regress back to our childhood roles of him being bossy and me being sneaky.

He decided we were going to choose teams, that archaic schoolyard practice that still haunts me - I was always chosen last in elementary school.  But this time, my daughter was picking - she picked me first!  She also picked my 73-year old grandfather.  

This is the part that makes it my favorite memory.  I never knew anything until I saw my grandfather, who I love and admire and who I placed on a pedestal when I was five years old, playing this kickball game.  Determination.  Coaching - "Michelle, you need to run fast!".  Verve.  

And the best moment of all, Popa sprinting around third base and heading for home, with my bossy brother aiming for him, and so my 73-year old grandfather slides into home plate.  SAFE!  And the crowd roared.

 It was a perfect moment. 

26 comments:

  1. Haha What a GREAT memory! It's good to have those sort of memories locked safely close to our hearts.
    Congratulations on your 10th anniversary - that is quite an achievement and show a certain amount of determination and verve itself!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I know, I am so lucky to have memories like that of my wonderful family...it's the best thing in the world. :)

      Delete
  2. haha wow he was sure spry, sliding in at that age, not a afraid of nothing. Whenever you feel like a waste of space look at the floor sleeper, bang, true waste of space lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL actually my floor sleeper did come to mind when I was writing this! I just need my house back, I think...
      Wasn't my grandpa awesome! LOL

      Delete
  3. Nice. I hope you have a lot more prefect moments both in the blogging world and in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your kickball story. Until recently, I played on a broomball team. Our first goal of this past season was scored by a man 30 years my senior - pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I need to get healthy again just so I can start living like this! :)

      Delete
  5. I am only a boy of 64 but had to activate my sneaky parts to catch 3-year-old grandson today. Kid runs like a rabbit! But I know the trails and snatched him up by ambush. I hope I can play kickball at 73, but am going to learn to use a lariat anyway. Great post, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geo.! Just think of the awesome memories your grandson will have of you all playing kickball together! Or, of you lassoing him! LOL

      Delete
  6. "Ten Years A Blogger" why does this sound like a movie...oh right, never mind. But I am really impressed! That's a pretty long time; are you always an early adopter?
    I love that story from 2004, and can picture it vividly. I love that Chelsea picked you and grandpa, the perfect team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerry! I don't know about an early adopter...it was one of those things where I always kept a journal, and I was on AOL, and AOL back then started AOL Journals, so I just joined it and started blogging online. There was a whole community of us back then...then in 2008 AOL discontinued it, so I brought my journal over to Blogger. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh you've been blogging ten years?? That's awesome. And I so love the memory that you write about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do, too...it's one of my favorites. We even have pictures, somewhere...I always planned to add them in someday, but someday is always so far in the future! LOL

      Delete
  8. Liked this post ! Memories, sweet memories...
    Congrats again for completing a decade of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Raj! I was so relieved when 2014 got here, actually...I'm pessimistic that way!
      LOL

      Delete
  9. And that's why baseball remains America's favorite pastime. You couldn't replicate that moment in any other sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right!!
      When Chels played sports, the only one I was really sad she gave up was softball, for that very reason!

      Delete
  10. Ten years of blogging? Wow! That's a long time. I've been blogging for almost three years. My problem is, I keep changing blogs. So, this time, I'm keeping MTM & Elsie Writes. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm resistant to change, that's all. My blog looks exactly the same as it did ten years ago, as well. It's a thing...LOL...

      Delete
  11. Ten years? That's EPIC. Like E-P-I-C, and deserving of cheese. I cannot believe you have been at it for that long. Wow.

    ReplyDelete