Thursday, March 30, 2023

Even after all this time...

 

My kitty at 17 years old

We lost our kitty two weeks ago Sunday. 

She lived to to a grand old age of 18, which was approximately 200 years old in cat years. She belied her age though, bossing us around just like she had as a kitten.

I would get home and tell her about my day and how she was my little best friend. She usually replied with, 'Meow (where's my treat), Meow (isn't it suppertime) and Meow (please move your arm)'.

She slept with me every night and followed me around the house like a puppy. To my daughter and me, she was pure joy. How could we have disagreements when the kitty was being So Cute? She would stick her chin out so Chels could scratch her Just Right and would nudge her when she stopped.

She woke me up every morning by poking my face. Poke poke poke. I would cover my face and she would climb up on top of my head. When I finally woke up, she would lead me to the kitchen so I could feed her. She loved being fed.

As we got older, being a senior cat took its toll on her. We found out she was diabetic and she lost weight at an alarming rate. She couldn't jump so good anymore, so we put steps by my bed. We were so proud when she learned to climb those steps!

I woke up one morning and she was unresponsive. We weren't ready for this to happen. Just a day ago she had been happily eating and demanding treats. How did this happen so fast?

We took her to the vet and made the agonizing decision to let her go. She gained her angel kitty wings right there, lying in my arms.

I fully realize how lucky we were to have Josie for 18 years. We loved and were loved by a cat. What can be better than that?

2 comments:

  1. It is always heartbreaking to lose your beloved family member. I have had a lot of cat friends over the years and each one has brought great joy into my life. Good wishes to you and my sincere condolences.

    ReplyDelete