She said, "So, as the adult child of an alcoholic, you probably don't have any close friends."
Wow. You go through life thinking you're unique, that no one can understand your pain, and then you're pigeonholed in one sentence.
There's lots of other things I learned at The Place:
- A LOT of the people who ended up there grew up with an alcoholic parent.
- I wasn't the only one who no longer handled my own money.
- Self-harm was not just for young teens.
- Auditory hallucinations were not uncommon among the mentally ill.
- Alcohol and drug abuse, along with other addictions, went hand in hand with mental illness - the addiction temporarily masked the pain.
To be continued...